Allied Vet Emergency Blog
Welcome to our blog! Please let us know what you think and help us by suggesting topics you are interested in.
Did My Dog Really Just Eat That???
Pantyhose, paper, grass, glass, socks, rocks, blocks and just about anything else they can get their teeth on. If it would fit in their mouth, you can bet there’s a dog that would eat it!
Why do they do it? Nobody knows for sure, some theories that have been suggested:
· Nutritional deficiencies. Some experts suggest that dogs will seek out things like rocks, wood or even feces trying to obtain some missing element in their diets – no one has yet identified the mystery element and no nutritional studies have ever been done to support this theory.
· Frustration or anxiety. As some of us humans battle, inappropriate eating could be a reaction to stress or boredom. We may not always agree with their choices (ie. raiding the cat’s litter box) – keep in mind that dogs can't just run to the pantry or freezer when they choose, so they may turn to the environment for something to eat.
· Chewing compulsions. Many dogs are just chewers who simply get carried away and swallow the inedible objects they're chewing on.
There are probably other reasons out there, but the simple fact is some dogs are just prone to the problem. Most vets you ask have a memorable story or two about the strangest thing they have pulled from a dogs stomach in surgery. While these stories can be amusing (see the cases below) after the fact, it’s no laughing matter when the family pup is being wheeled back for emergency surgery. It can be extremely expensive, not to mention life threatening. So what can you do? One vet offered a suggestion after a third surgery to remove tennis balls from one dog’s stomach, “some dogs should come with zippers.” Until that happens, do your best to keep those objects that could end up a chew toy out of reach!
Can you figure out what had this pup in our emergency room at Allied?
and the answer is.....
If you guessed pecan you were right! This south Georgia pup was sniffing around the Pecan grove and swallowed one whole. A trip to the ER and some time in the operating room was all she needed to fix her up.
Here's a collection of some of the weirdest and wildest things caught on x-ray film at vet hospitals around the country:
1. Put these three together and you'd have yourself a complete set!
2. We all know dogs are man's best friend, here are some dogs going the extra mile to participate in their master's hobbies...
- the golfer
- the fishermen
3. Finally, if dogs are man's best friend, and diamonds are a girls best friend - what does that make this pup who swallowed this diamond engagement ring?